Monday, February 16, 2009

Big Spender

It's not every day when you go out and drop nearly a half a million on a weekend shopping spree. Before my donors have a heart attack - it was in kwacha! There was a day when the US dollar and the Zambian Kwacha were the same. However, today it takes more than K5000 to equal just $1. I am getting pretty good at dividing numbers by 5000 so I know what I am spending. If only they would just knock off some of those pesky zeros. With all the traveling I have been doing, I hadn't gotten the chance to go out and get all those food staples (and plastic containers for everything to keep the bugs out), and some essential appliances (who can survive without an electric handmixer?). My shopping trip took me to Shoprite and SuperSpar, the two big grocery chains here in Zambia. And then came my first trip to Game, which is sort of like Walmart. I could have spent all day there, but I demonstrated amazing self-control and limited my purchases to the essentials. It's amazing how lack of a car really helps you cut down on your purchases. You can only buy what you can carry home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment