Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Adventure Continues!

Last time many of you heard from me, I was two months into my stay in Zambia, adjusting to my surroundings and recounting my favorite things. So much has happened since then! As many of you already know, my six-month internship with International Justice Mission has turned into a whole new adventure. As of this week, I have committed to continue my work with IJM Zambia as a legal fellow through September of 2010. I am really excited to see how the Lord will use me in this beautiful developing country.


As May arrived, I began to think about my future and wonder what it would hold. I was enjoying my time in Zambia and began to see the abundance of opportunities it held. I was ready to extend my stay beyond my August return date, but which path should I take? Over the next couple of weeks, I had several different people encourage me to apply to the Zambia Institute of Legal Education to pursue getting admitted to practice in Zambia’s courts. It seemed an impossible option with classes starting in June, but doors flew open and in a matter of weeks I had been accepted.


Studying for the bar exams seemed like such a huge step. And what could I hope to accomplish with so little to offer in the view of such big challenges? Then I heard a message from IJM’s founder Gary Haugen on “The Unfamiliar Passions of God”. His illustration of the little boy with the lunch of loaves and fishes and Christ’s simple request “Bring them here to Me” made me realize it’s not about what I have to offer, but that I am willing to put it all in His Hands. So I went ahead, trusting that God would use this opportunity for His glory, even though I wasn’t exactly sure how.

It seems every day my faith is tested and strengthened. It is often a struggle, yet I am learning that my weakness and failings can draw me closer to God. One verse in particular has been a daily prayer: “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love, and of a sound mind.” (II Timothy 1:6)


IJM Zambia has been very supportive and my studies have worked hand-in-hand with my work in the Legal Department. I am also grateful for each of you. Your thoughts and prayers, emails of encouragement, and financial support means so much! It’s nice to know that though I may be on another continent, I have not been forgotten!


And so my Zambian Adventure continues...

0 comments:

Post a Comment